Ken
Ken, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Mechanic for 23 years, Have been Teaching Auto apprentices for 13 years
21287354

Land cruiser: Ute..that has low oil pressure at idle after I

Customer Question

I own a HZJ75 Landcruiser Ute that has low oil pressure at idle after I've taken it for a run. What could be the problem?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
HI.
Has it recently had a service? Lower viscosity oil maybe?

Have you noticed this drop suddenly or has it just been getting lower over time?
It is normal for oil pressure to drop at normal operating temp as the viscosity of the oil does thin out, and at idle speeds as the pump is turning lower.

The best bet would be to get someone to test it with a good quality gauge, just to make sure its where its supposed to be, any mechanic will have to equipment to check it, just for piece of mind.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I usually have it serviced about every 3 mths and it is abit overdue, I'm guessing it just needs an oil change and new filters. When I start it in the morning the oil pressure looks normal ( just above the half way mark) it's just after I take it for a good run that I notice the drop in pressure at idle. Could it be sludge built up?

Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
The drop is normal, as i said, oil warms up and thins out, pressure will drop. Get the service and see how it looks then, if its still low then get a pressure test done.
Ken, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience: Qualified Mechanic for 23 years, Have been Teaching Auto apprentices for 13 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks for your time Ken much appreciated, have a good one :)
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
Glad to help