Stewart
Stewart, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Over 23 years industry exp.(steering specialist mechanic) for over 11 years.
14364445

How do I replace fuel pump in Holden Commodore Ute VS Series

Customer Question

How do I replace fuel pump in Holden Commodore Ute VS Series III?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Stewart replied 5 years ago.
Hi loch,i'll assume youre already pretty certain the pump has died(no buzz with ignition on,& you say youve already changed the relay/s),the vs ute pump is a bit of a pain to change but goes like this....you need to remove the ute floor from behind the cabin(umpteen phillips screws around the edge),it will have seam sealer sticking it to the floor so will take a bit of levering to lift it up,this gives acces to the tank,from behind the drivers seat theres a screwed on hatch you need to remove to acces the fuel pipes leading to it,there should also be a set of wires one set for the pump power & another for the fuel gauge sender,disconnect all these(watch out for fuel going everywhere),then from back in the tray you should then have enough room to undo a ring of screws to remove the pump/gauge sender assembly(take a bit of care not damage the gauge sender float or your fuel gauge may not work properly).Take care to replace everything as it was removed,if anything is put back on back to front it wont work.with the new pump back in,check it works/runs/starts motor/no leaks before you refit the access hatch & ute floor o.k.,glad to be of help,cheers Stew.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks,

I am not at the car right now.

I have removed teh ute floor and am unsure about the hatch behind teh drivers seat etc. I cannot recall seeing that, but I didn't get to look there - so I will have to check it out.

Are you sure this is for teh VS series III as it did not show on my returned version of teh question?

I'll get back to you this afternoon.

Thanks for now.

Loch

Expert:  Stewart replied 5 years ago.
Hi Loch,Yep i'm sure your series III will be like this,hatch behind drivers seat may be covered by carpet or rubber,but you aint gonna get the pump out pain-free if you dont follow all of the instruction,the hatch(like my advice) is all there for a reason,follow all the steps & you should be o.k.,cheers Stew.
Stewart, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience: Over 23 years industry exp.(steering specialist mechanic) for over 11 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Stew

Have a good Xmas

Loch