Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

Its a 97 audi 2.8 just a loud click. No crank no start. Its

Customer Question

Its a 97 audi 2.8 just a loud click. No crank no start. Its also an auto tranny but the dash says push clutch to start engine?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Its the starter i believe. The starter tested good at autozone and the cars been died now for months
JA: What is the model of your '97 Audi?
Customer: A6
JA: Are you fixing your A6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. New batt new starter. Tryied jumping the starter. Replaced relays. Everything i can think of
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The dash message is weird. And if the key is held in the starting position the neg terminal starts getting hot and smokin at the batt
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
also found error codes. 01383 18010 00668
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Have you check your connections for corrosion? My next step from here would be to perform a voltage drop test. Have you tested the battery control module?

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

This vehicle is known also for poor ground connection. Check for a good ground between the battery and the body of the vehicle. Check for a good connection to the ecm. You issue may lie there.

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Check to see is the starter has a good ground also.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ive sanded all the connections from batt to body batt to starter. Ran a ground wire striaght to the one of the bolts holding the starter in.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have not tested battery control module
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

You should do so. This vehicle seems to have issues with this component. I would also perform voltage drop test to see if your cables are the problem. Sometime they build up so much resistance in the cable that the voltage can't travel the whole distance properly and is unable to perform the task commanded. Let me check to see if I have testing instruction for you.

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I apologize for the delay. Here is a complete diagnostic test for your issue at hand.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please send any useful info i cant seem to find alot of info on this car. And i really have no idea what would cause the car to think its a maunal with a clutch?
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

I'm suspecting to message for the clutch refers to the neutral safety switch on the transmission. The may be caused by the battery control module malfunctioning also. I will search for a diagram for you about the control module. Just give me a few more minutes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But why would an automatic tell me that? There is No clutch just torque converter
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

I may just be a generic warning that there is an issue. I'm still checking the diagram to see what i can find that is useful to you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hopefully useful lol. Ive already gotten plenty of opinions but yours is the only one ive paid for. But thank you.
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

I have the diagrams, just wanted the ask, have you checked the brake light switch? This is connected to the transmission control module and may attribute to the clutch light issue.

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Okay, Here are the diagrams with map key. My advice to you is to test the brake switch. Do a voltage drop test on the connections, have the battery control module tested, It could also be a bad signal wire from the ignition to the starter. You should check for all these issues

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Brake lights work with the pedal so im assuming its functioning normally. Is it possible to check the bcm myself? And where would that and the ecm be located? Sorry if im asking for to much but i dont know how this site works so i dont want to have to pay any more then i have too.
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

You are doing fine. I am here to help you. The brakes may be functioning normally, but my theory is the switch may not be sending the signal to the neutral safety switch located on the transmission. Let me see if I can locate you bcm.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how exactly do i test for that?
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

You will have to locate the Neutral safety switch. disconnect it and test the connector for a signal while the brake is being depressed. The body control module is a lot more difficult to test for. If you are not comfortable with the electrical wiring, then you should see your local technician.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Im okay with wiring. Like i said the cars been dead a while so ive got under the dash all exposed. Checked the hot goin to the fuse box for a short but looks fine. If you can give me instructions on testing the bcm i should have all the tools to do so.
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

I do apologize for the delay I'm not able the pull up any information about testing this module. I can try to request this information, but it may take up to 24 hrs for a response and the information still may not be available. I can try if you'd like.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about the location of it?
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Give me a few.

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Here you are..

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Do you have any further questions on this subject?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
For now yes ill try what you suggested
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

No problem. Also, if you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The bcm is the ecm then? Only showed tcm and ecm on the diagram
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Yes. You are correct.