Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

The original battery in my 2011 Audi A5 apparently failed

Customer Question

The original battery in my 2011 Audi A5 apparently failed after a cold spell when we had not driven the car. Earlier I had noticed some radio dropouts, a rear camera failure and the loss of normal comfort heating. After a short trip I proceeded to check battery status but could not locate the under the hood terminals shown in my manual. It was getting dark, but the motor would not start without getting power to the starter. Trunk and door relays were still working. I did not check the lights to preserve what was left.
QUESTION: Where can I find the "plus" terminal post to check the voltage (no-load, load, and response to charging), and where in the trunk have they hidden my battery? Would I be advised to just replace the battery, or should I tow the car to initiate repairs? The car is properly serviced with only 25K miles driven. Chas
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be attempting to help you today. Was the vehicle dying while you were driving? If so, sounds like you have a charging issue. Here is you battery location and removal instructions..

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 days ago.

My advice would be to test the alternator and the battery. If it is the alternator, I usually replace the battery along with it. My theory is they should come in pairs.

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 days ago.

Was your dash battery light on?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No driving problems at all. However, there was a hesitation the last time it properly started, like a studder, before actual start.No problem lights.
Expert:  Todd M replied 7 days ago.

I'm inclined to believe that you may need to replace your alternator. Once you get the vehicle started, you can test the voltage output. It may only be partially charging the vehicle, so when the demands for this extra power arises, the alternator can't produce what is asked for leading to your failing battery. The alternator should be pushing no less than 13.5V.

Expert:  Todd M replied 7 days ago.

If you have any other questions on this subject, feel free to ask. If that will be all, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.