sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My A4 2004 driver side window went down, now it only goes up

Customer Question

Hi Don, My A4 2004 driver side window went down, now it only goes up on inch.......Is there anyway I can take off my door panel and just push, from the inside, the window up to at least get closed....it's 2 degrees here in central Oregon..?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Right now...how can I at least get the window back up, to keep the weather out,,,then I'll have to work on the regulator later...
JA: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried to pull the window up on the end side, and it stops about 1-2 inches. I have the inside panel of the door off......at this point. I'm just hoping I can get the window up to keep the weather out at this point. If I were to get to the inside of the door, (removing the sound padding and getting access to the inside to push the window up to a closed position....) would that at least close it?"
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's closing time right now out here and I won't be able to get to a mechanic until Monday....I would just like to get the window close at this point....Thanks for your help.
Category: Audi
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

You may not be able to get the window up without repairing it or at least some disassembly. All you'd really be able to do is check for binding or damage and then try to push the window up while pressing the switch. If it won't move and you don't see any damage then either the motor/regulator assembly is going to need to be replaced or to get by for the mean time you can disconnect the glass from the regulator and prop it up with something such as a block of wood.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was not able to utilize this response in that my issue was of a timely matter. I ended up driving to my mechanic.