Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2000 Audi A6 and I just finish replacing the water

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Audi A6 and I just finish replacing the water pump and timing belt but now after putting all back together it cranks but won't star why?
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

• I am sorry no one has helped yet in return for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I believe I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** anytime I have until Tuesday to work on this so anytime will work for me
Please let me know how soon we can talk about this
Thank you

We need to start with the basic things. Fuel pressure, injector pulse, ignition spark, and compression. I recommend the alter 3 be the first ones checked since it may be out of time and you messed around in the area of the cam and crank sensors. Do you know how to check these things?

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need to tell you what I did before we go and check anything else. I didn't pay attention on the cams while taken the belt out and the cams move about one quarter of their turn and I don't know how to put it back the way they were.
please let me know if there is something I can do to fix it?
I have taken apart again in case I have to do something else
thank you

Here are the timing steps to get it back into correct time.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/auditiming.pdf

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the problem is now I didn't use the cam holder and the cams move what I need to know if there is something that can be done to put the cams in the right place again because like I said I took everything apart again after I notice the car wont start

Since the right tools were not used and the cams turned then you tried to start the vehicle. You may have bent or broken valves. You need to try and retime and get everything back into the correct position. then check the compression to see if the engine is damaged internally.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how can I do the retime to make sure everything is back the way it was?
there is any step by step I can follow from you?

I sent a file earlier showing all the tools and procedure you needed to follow to get the engine timed correct.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know you did but that procedure is for start doing everything and my case the cams already move and what I need to know is how to reset the cams to be in correct position.
I'm been looking at this problem all day and what i know so far is that it is a tool for cams to be reset but i don't know how to do this.
do you think this is something you can help me with?

You will have to turn the cams by hand to get them aligned to get the tool in place once the crank is locked and the belt is removed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sure but I think it will be better if I'm in front the car don't you think?
or if you think its ok to talk about it now lets do it

We can talk right here through the keyboard. What question do you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
first I'm about to buy a master camshaft timing tool to do the work but I'm not familiar with the procedure to do this work
I know I can remove the cams cover but once it is been remove what will I need to do first? and do I have to remove again the timing belt to do this?

Once you have the timing belt all exposed and ready to remove. Rotate the crnak till the arks line up and install the timing peg. If your not able to instal lthe cam bar then remove the belt, turn the cams, then install the bar. Once all is locked in place install the belt.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
then?

Once the new belt is in place and the tensioner is tight then remove the special tools and reassemble everything else.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But don't we have to aling the cams?
or you saying that it only the matter of set the timing marks and install the crankshaft holding tool but what about the lineup the big holes of the sprockets?

The cam holding bar you installed before installing the new belt and after installing the crank timing peg holds the cam in the correct timing position.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the first thing I have to do is get the cams holding tool install it and then move to the crankshaft marks but don't the sprockets it suppose to be in line with the crankshafts?
This is the part I don't understand
Let me put this picture to you like if I'm about to start the whole work
Everything is been remove except for the tensioner and timing belt , now im going to set the timing marks to lineup and now I'm installing the crankshaft holder and after that the sprockets big holes doesn't face each other at this point what am I going to do?

Since you do not understand the manufacture steps I sent I will try to explain it simpler.

1. Install the crank timing peg to lock it in place
  2. Install the cam hold bar if the cams are aligned. If they are not then remove the belt then turn the cams to align them so the bar can be installed.
  3. Once the bar is on
  4. Install the new belt
  5. Remove all special tools
  6. Your done.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok now I'm getting somewhere
Now to move the cams all it take is a regular wrench until both of the face each other I got it
Ok I'm waiting for the bar holder to arrive to the store I just purchased one it may take a couple days
As soon as I get this part and do everything I'll let you know what was the end result
Just one more thing at this point you don't thin I need the master camshaft timing tool to aling the cams?
Or we need to do this first and then we move to the next step if any?

The bar and peg is all you need.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great I hope to get this parts soon so I can try it
I'll let you know as soon as I get them

Okay

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry one more question before ill let you go
do you think that because I didn't install the cams holder bar and peg and then I put everything back together and try to start the car a couple times the valve would be bend?
or it takes more that that to bend a valve?

There is a very good chance you bent the valves if it was badly out of correct timing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/valves.png

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok but I wont know this until I do the belt and cams first correct?
and if the car still not working or fire up then my problem is going to be something else correct?

That is correct you will not know if the valves are bent unless you time it right then check the compression.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what is the name of the tool for checking compression?
just in case I need to get one

Cylinder compression tester

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok sound good to me
lets get first thing first and then we go from there
thank you

Good night.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
good night

Thanks

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris