Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

I have an 06 Audi A4 which today started running really

Customer Question

I have an 06 Audi A4 which today started running really rough, I got the code for number 3 cylinder misfire, swapped out #2 and #3 coil pack and issue followed to number two cylinder. Replaced coil pack but no joy and now I get the 0300 random misfire code.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** i will assist you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please text me
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Was the replacement coil new?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
about 15000 miles ago I replaced the valve cover gasket and plugs, at that time I did one coil pack, I just pulled all plugs and packs, cleaned them and reinstalled them, 0300 remains as well as a 0304 as well
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

I will advise you to replace all plugs, and the remaining coils. When one coil goes that is a sign that the rest are on their way. That's why techs suggest changing all. Short of that, you should make sure that the coil didn't leave any debris in the cylinder that would prevent connection and spark. Make sure all the plugs have the proper gap. Also, make sure the connectors are receiving the proper voltage.

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Verifying the timing is something that I do just to eliminate that cause..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just moved around the coils, switching positions and now I get a code for each cylinder misfiring as well as the multiple cylinder misfire code and (this one is new) P0171. Stumped!
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Have you check to see if you have an intake hose leak?

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Or a vacuum leak?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How would I go about doing that?
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Do you hear any hissing or sucking?

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

You will need a pressure tester and a vacuum tester. These require the specific pumps.(vacuum pump or compressor)

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

These two issue will cause each of those codes to set. Check around the brake booster hose most commonly disturbed. Especially with recent work done.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No hissing or sucking noises, car revs up fine but idles super rough. I do not have these testers
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
With the addition of the 0171, do you no longer think it is in the coil/plugs?
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Yes. I think your vehicle is having a breathing issue. That is a great possibility. I would have your local shop perform pressure and vacuum test.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is the car safe to drive?
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Safe for you, yes, but not the vehicle. With the vehicle running rough, it may cause other issues. I wouldn't advise it.

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

If you're going straight to a local shop, it may be okay.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This just keeps getting stranger - I just went to the vehicle, closed the hood and started the car to move it, it started and idle just fine, moved the car out of the driveway and back in with no issues????? Haunted perhaps??
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Your issue is definitely frustrating. I still advise getting the pressures checked.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did notice a small amount of oil on one of the plugs as well
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

That is a sign. Lets hope its coming from the top.(plug stem seals). Have you been emitting smoke from that tail pipe?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not that I have noticed, while the car was running a bit ago, I did walk to the rear of the vehicle but did not see anything
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Ok. Just checking. The the next step is the pressure and vacuum test.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, will get that done tomorrow and check back with you
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

No problem. I hope it all works out for you. If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated... Thank you..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would it be possible for me to buy a vacuum tester and find the leak?
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

As long as you have a vacuum pump also, You should be able to perform the task.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where could I get one of these testers and how would I perform the test
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Harbor freight. And the test is difficult to explain. It would be best to check for a video of the procedure so that you will have a better understanding.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand the basics of doing a vacuum test but will it show where the leak is as far as which hose?
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Yes. It will make it very audible..

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

I sometimes spray soapy water to help locate the leak easier.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would need the tester with the pump so I wont have to have the engine running correct
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Not for the vacuum test.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would the car need to be running for the vacuum test
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Not if you have a pump.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would it matter which hose I attached the tester to or would it run through all of them simultaneously
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

it shouldn't, but I would attach it to the main hose running for the booster to the intake..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is that hose located?
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Disconnect the hose from the brake booster and use that. The brake booster is located behind the master cylinder(the place where you put in brake fluid.