Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I HAVE A 2001 AUDI A8. WHEN I START THE ENGINE, OIL IS

I HAVE A 2001 AUDI A8. WHEN I START THE ENGINE, OIL IS LEAKING GREATLY FROM DRIVER SIDE CYLINDER HEAD HOLE BELOW CAM PLUG. WHATS THE SOLUTION.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need a Vin # of the vehicle so i can get the factory information to assist

the leak is it in the front where the timing belt or in the rear of the head?

pic would help me out alot for the exact position!!

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The vin is WAUML54D81N012725. The leak is on the rear. I can see the black cam plug and there is a hole beneath it about between the 9 and 6 oclock position. The car previously overheated and is in need of a radiator

ok one last thing of info needed . in the back where the spare tire is an options sticker . white 3x5 i do need a pic of the sticker . there are 3 different engine designs and I do need the options sticker to pick the correct one to assist!!

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
where specifically is the sticker located? i didnt see one.

some times in the spare tire well , sometimes on the cover of the spare tire area it varies!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its not there. i do not see a white sticker period sir.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
where else can i look to find the info you need?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you there?

ok that hole under the cam plug is a oil galley . that is sealed by insert a bb and then peen the bb in the head to seal off. with the overheating it does not help because of cylinder head warpage .

i have heard of popping the bb out and using a pipe plug tap and pipe plug to seal the leak but it is risky to have metal trapped in the galley and damage to other parts of the head can occur. recmmendation is head replacement especially of a potential overheating issue!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, whats "bb'? also how certain are you that the head has been warped?

round ball bearing plug. any overheating issues can distort the head . it is hard to tell how long and how bad the overheat occurred but have seen it cause oil leaks and head gasket failures. aluminum is much softer than cast iron and has the tendency to distort easier when overheated!!

got to put the kids to sleep . is it ok to get back with you tomorrow if you still have anything more to comment or ask?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry can you rewrite this clearly, "sealed by insert a bb and then peen the bb"?

peen the metal (aluminum) around the bb

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry for late reply Sir however I would like to get the specific engine option to you for a more exact diagnosis. I will give later today.

got it!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello sir, the engine code is "AUX 002981" therefore can you give me more definitive information on the head cylinder issue?

thank you let me verify this!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello sir, any updates?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any updates sir?

sorry for the delay .. ok on this when the head is being machined before installation on the block they have to drill a channel for oil passages . and after they machine it they need to seal the end of it so no leakage gets by so they insert a ball bearing (bb) and peen the end to seal it . i have seen from time to time that they tend to seep and with oil pressure tends to widen the peen and then start to leak . the rectification is to replace the cylinder head . i have seen macinists take the bb out and place a pipe plug in place but the cost effectiveness and turn around time is better if the head was replaced than repaired because the chance of leaking again!!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang