AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4 Does Not Recognize It Is In Park.

Customer Question

What can be done if the 2009 Audi A4 does not recognize it is in Park mode? It will not release the key. It is a FOB.
Is sounds like a neutral safety switch, but I cant find any info on them at all for any Audi A4 after 2007. Thought they may have changed the part or system.
The car will go into park, but it does not recognize that it is in park. Center display says "Please put the car in park to prevent it from rolling" it has done this intermittently before then always clicks down by the shifter and releases the key within about 30 seconds. Now the key does not come out at all and the car thinks its in drive so it will not lock the doors.
I have opened the shifter console area and looked checked the shift lock solenoid which seems to work fine.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 days ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. I'm Wolfgang here to help!! I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them.
I do need the VIN # to get the factory repair information to assist!!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
WAULK78K89N005207
thank you
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 days ago.
Ok need one more thing in the back where the spare tire there is a 3x5 options sticker of the vehicle. I do need a pic of that sticker to see which transmission you have!!
Thanks
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I attached a picture of the sticker
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Better pick
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 days ago.
Mechanically it goes into park correct? What gear does the center display is reading/showing?