Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

I just replaced the engine in my 2004 Audi A4 1.8t. I tried

Customer Question

Hi. I just replaced the engine in my 2004 Audi A4 1.8t. I tried to start it tonight and when I try to crank it...nothing. I just says "Service". Do I need to reset the ECU?
Thanks
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 15 days ago.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.

I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.

Is there a security light on or anything? If not, can you double check wires to the starter? Because the most likely thing is a wire was left off somewhere or maybe put on wrong. Let me know and I will continue to help.

I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.

Thanks

Sonny

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Starter solinoid wiring question? I can't remember if the plastic isolator cap goes on the large terminal post before the battery and alternator wires are attached or over top of them after they're on. Please let me know it this order is correct.Cap nut ---> Plastic isolator piece ---> Battery lead ---> Alternator lead ---> Cap nut
Exciter wire clips onto provided terminal.Thanks, Don
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 14 days ago.

that is correct.

is it an auto trans or manual?

1. Access the Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Relay J226 located in position 4 of the relay carrier in the e-box in the plenum chamber. Check for any signs of damage, moisture, corrosion, etc.

2. Pin 2/50Z Red/Black (RO/SW) at the J226 should have B+ present while CRANKING only.

A. If B+ is not present, check the operation of the ignition switch.

3. Pin 8/50A Red/Black (RO/SW) at the J226 is the output to the starter. If a jumper wire is installed between 2/50Z and 8/50A, the starter should engage when the key is turned to the CRANK position.

A. If the starter doesn't engage, verify power supply and case ground at the starter.

4. Pin 1/P/N Brown/White (BR/WS) at the J226 is the ground activation of the relay.

A. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) provides the ground from pin 4 Brown/White (BR/WS) when the shifter is in the Park and Neutral positions.

that is some tests for you to do, to see why it is not cranking

Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 13 days ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO WORK ON THE CAR FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS. THANKSGIVING IN THE STATES AND THE WIFE INSISTS ON DOING "FAMILY THINGS" . I will get a chance to try out what you suggested in the next couple of days though. All of it makes sense to me. I'll update after I get a chance to try it out.Thanks Don
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 12 days ago.

that sounds good.

Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 4 days ago.

were you able to check out the suggestions I gave you?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yeah, still no luck. When I turn the key the starter solenoid clicks the nothing. Is it possible the starter is bound up and may need shimmed? Also, the Service light comes on with the key in the On position.
Try this, take the drive belt off and retry starting. If still clicks try turning the engine over with a socket and ratchet on the main pulley/crank bolt. If it turns let me know. If it doesn't then the engine is locked up. Could be rust in the cylinders or something else. How long has the engine sat before you got it and put it in? & have you checked the codes?