AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

My 98 A6 quattro is overheating after taking it to a shop to

Customer Question

My 98 A6 quattro is overheating after taking it to a shop to have a radiator hose and fan clutch replaced. Car idling higher then before the work was done and overheats almost immediately. Any ideas what it could.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, what was the reason they replaced the hose and fan clutch?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The radiator hose blew. I had no knowledge of the car overheating prior to that. They replaced the hoses and flushed the lines. When I went to pick the car up the mechanic said that the car is running hot and overheating now and asked if he could order and replace the fan since he said it want turning on on its own. He replaced that and then called me and said that didn't help and that I should pick it up and take it to the dealer. The car also idles differently then it did prior to this.

ok. well lets not rush to the dealer yet

did they replace the thermostat? did they have the thermostat removed during the flush?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They said the thermostat could be bad but 5-6 hours of labor to get to it so it would be very pricey. The thermostat itself is only $13 and I have a friend who is a mechanic and works on German cars..from what he said ..it is tough to get to and would require removing the timing belts etc. They had the car for 9 days so I don't know what they did other then replace the fan and replace hoses.

they didnt feel like working on it. thats all. i can have you check a few things that doesnt require taking anything apart if you'd like

do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please.can you tell me what things I might be able to check?

start the engine, let it warm up. then tell me if the upper and lower radiator hoses get hot after about 10 minutes

hello???????

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  david craig replied 30 days ago.

were you able to take care of the issue????????