Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

The last mastermind that worked on my 98 audi cabriolet

Customer Question

The last mastermind that worked on my 98 audi cabriolet seems to have removed the fuse diagram from the lid of the fuse box. Need diagram to identify fuses
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: Actually I didn't get a manual with the car.
JA: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am installing a new radio. It appears some one was previously working on installing a replacement power antenna. I'm thinking a blown fuse is very possible. Don't want to pull all the fuses but may be the only way.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't find the fuse box under the dash
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Randall C replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I have diagrams and will send but curious as to what is not working? radio? antenna? is it factory radio? aftermarket

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The After market radio I am installing will not turn on and I haven't connected the wiring to the new antenna I am installing. Someone has previously installed new speakers in the front (dash) and totally abandoned the rear speakers. It looks like they tried to install an after market power antenna, but it was broken & junk when I got the car. When I pulled the factory radio, the wiring was a mess. I purchased a radio from Crutchfield, but couldn't use the wiring adapter because the factory plug was too messed up. I cut wires back to the factory harness and wired directly to the new radio harness.........Just had a thought and went and checked for power with my multimeter at the radio wiring harness. Got 12 V so it's not the fuse. Would still like to have the diagrams for inevitable need in the future.
Expert:  Randall C replied 13 days ago.

well, you are faced with a bit of a mess I suppose so I can not be much help there, as I would need to see the wiring issues, Audi wiring diagrams are very difficult to read but can send if you feel you can read them,,so if power to radio and not fuse? it can only be bad radio or ground, There is only one fuse and power supply to the radio,Here are the diagrams

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Called crutchfield and found out there are two 12V lines going to the radio. One is constant (I have power at that one) the second is switched using the radio (no power here) that explains why I have no power at the power antenna. The motor is energized when the radio is turned on. Still can't find a fuse box diagram and can't find a fuse box in the cabin under the dash.
Expert:  Randall C replied 13 days ago.

Actuallly that is correct for most all aftermarket radios BUT the Audi does not use an ignition feed fuse nor one for the antenna, Audi radio is BAT + power only to the radio and the raido powers to the antenna, You have to configure wiring to get a key on power to antenna and radio, I can not help with much of that not being there, so I will opt out an opent he post to the other experts