peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I am not sure if my water pump is going are there tell tale

Customer Question

I am not sure if my water pump is going are there tell tale signs to note I have a 2001 audi Quattro v6
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: it has never over heated and when I bought the care used the water pump and surpertine belt were replaced that was 4 years ago
JA: Are you fixing your Quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well my fiancé just replaced the tensioner belt because it sounded it like it was a bearing issue...just turned the car on and it still sounds almost like something in some of the fan belt assembly is grinding?? He thinks its the pump but I have my reservations???
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I think that bout explains whats going on...just the the longer the car ran it got quitter that's why I don't think its a pump issue there is no evidence of leakage either..
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The noise you hear can be any of the pulleys that the belt rides on.This can be an idler pulley or water pump or issues with something like the power steering pump bearings failing or alternator bearings failing.

The best way to locate which is the cause here is using either an automotive stethescope to listen to the noises at the belt driven components while the engine is running or a long rubber hose about 3/4 in diameter to use one end to probe around the engine with the other end up to your ear.Where the noise is the loudest is the component that is failing.

It is very possible this is the water pump failing even though it was replaced as I have seen these fail prematurely as well.But it can also be any of these other components at fault needing replaced.

I would listen with a hose or stethescope to see if you can pinpoint which component is causing the noise.This should be done soon as the bearing may seize up at some point and break the belt leaving you stranded.

The pump bearings can fail with no leaks present.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete