FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

I drove my Audi A6 Quattro in a bad rainstorm. It was

Customer Question

I drove my Audi A6 Quattro in a bad rainstorm. It was driving fine. I drove it home and parked it. The next morning it wouldn't turn over at all. What do you think it is? A sensor? Electrical? Just the starter? I'm stumped. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
Category: Audi
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** water got into the vehicle then you may be in for some serious issues. I would start by load testing the battery. If it is failing then that may be the causes. If it is fine the you would need to check fro water intrusion to see what got wet. Please let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The battery works fine. After I parked it in the rain the next day it started fine. But I started it but didn't drive it. Then I went to start it and it won't turn over. Won't make a sound at all. Could a fuse have blown for the starter or celanoid? It's very strange but was right after that rainstorm. Maybe electrical?? Have you ever had anything like this happen before? Thanks.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

Yes, there are a lot of possibilities here. Do you have a voltage meter to run some tests?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm just wondering where to start. Is it just as easy as a fuse or do you think it's something more difficult? I wish someone would just say that I know exactly what that is - do this.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately it isn't that easy. It may be a quick fix though. Before I know what direction to go in I need to know what the battery voltage is right now and what it does when the ignition is turned on like you want to crank the engine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The battery voltage is fine. Like at 14. When you go to turn it over it does nothing. No sound at all. No click nothing.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

What does the voltage do at the battery when you do this? What does it drop to? Do you have an automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know. I will check it tomorrow though and let you know. Unfortunately right now it's a windy rainy mess out. I'll let you know though.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

I understand. This will give me the information that I need. It may be a starter issue or a relay problem, but we need to test this first.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok the car is an automatic transmission. The battery works fine. Is there anything I can do to start off? Check a fuse etc? I just don't understand how I could drive the car, park it and then go to start it and it won't start, won't turn over or make a sound at all. Nothing at all was wrong with the car before this happened.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I got the car in the garage. Where do I start?? What should I check first??
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 months ago.

I need you to hook up your voltage meter to the battery. Tell me what the voltage reading is. Then try cranking the engine and tell me what the voltage reads. Then tell me what the voltage reading is at the fuse box under the hood.