peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.

My audi A5 will not open with my key fob when I use the key

Customer Question

My audi A5 will not open with my key fob when I use the key the alarm goes off,thanks
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: the red light comes on when I press the fob
JA: What year is your A5?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your A5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: all I have tried is opening the door with the manual key
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think that's it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Even though the light is coming on on the key fob this indicates the battery is usually o.k. in the key fob but the electronics in the key fob can fail to where the key fob needs replaced.I would start with having the battery replaced in the key fob to see if this resolves the issue here.If it does not most common is the key fob itself at fault needing replaced.It looks like on this model here the key fob has to be operational to disable the alarm to operate the vehicle.

A local parts store can usually dissasemble the fob and replace the battery in it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete