Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

2002 A4 3.0 oil pressure light is on also OP senser came on.

Customer Question

2002 A4 3.0 oil pressure light is on also OP senser came on. Did pressure check check and OK. Replaced Sensor unit. It did not clear light. Dropped pan and cleaned out strainer although it was OK. Checked oil pump OK. Car runs great no knocks just intrudive light. Next step I will replace wire from Sensor to engine. Will that clear light or what else? A deer ran into the lower right side of thecar and may have shorted light? Although it worked fine for several mon ths.
JA: Have you checked the oil? How old is your oil pump?
Customer: Oil is recomended viscosity and synthetic mobil one. have used it for over 50,000 miles. It was just changed prior to problem and changed again after fixes.
JA: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: See above description. I have a mechanic who has worked on my car for years. He is retired German cars.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have tried most fixes.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

I'd say its very likely that your oil pressure switch wire has a break in the insulation and is shorting out on th echassis or engine block as this will also turn on the light

so I'd agree that the next step is to trace the wire back to the ECU and repair any insulation damage you find