FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Cranks but wont start, yes. it was starting in the mornings

Customer Question

cranks but wont start
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: yes. it was starting in the mornings to go to work, but when I leave to go home would only crank but not start. I would come back later in a few hour and it would start with no problem
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: 200 A4 1.8 Turbo
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: 2000
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced Crank sensor, Cam sensor, Temp sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Last week when it would not start I put new spark plus in and then it started right up. It ran for two day and then I drove to work and has not started at all for the last week
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the check engine light was on when the engine was previously running? How many miles are on the car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
light on. 190,000
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. I would do a compression test first. That will tell you if the timing belt has failed or slipped. If the compression is low then it is a timing issue. If the compression is fine then the rpm signal needs to be checked with a scan tool. This would let you know if there is a signal problem because that is the main thing that causes the vehicle to not get spark and fuel. If you have a scan tool then getting the codes would be important and would help also.