peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.

My Audi A4 B6 2004 started making a sound with rpms above

Customer Question

My Audi A4 B6 2004 started making a sound with rpms above 1000. It does not sound like the engine itself but an auxiliary item. Maybe alternator, AC compressor or something connected to the belt. It's from the lower right side of the engine (standing in front of the car looking back). Sounds like a bearing gone bad. Any idea on how to diagnose?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Most likely this is one of the pulley bearings or components that the drive belt operates.I have seen these fail before needing replaced.The best way I have found to locate the source of the noise is obtain a 3/4 inch rubber diameter hose about 2 feet long and place one end up to your ear and use the other end to probe around the engine pulleys with the engine running to see where the noise is the loudest at.Once you locate the pulley that is the loudest this is the component that needs replaced.I have done this several times before to locate noises like this here.You can obtain a rubber heater hose like this from a local hardware or parts store for fairly cheap.

I have seen alternator bearing failure as most common or the ac compressor in some cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete