peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.

2007 audiA4 Quatro Top will not raise everytime. Sometimes

Customer Question

2007 audiA4 Quatro Top will not raise everytime. Sometimes after it won't work, we will drive around for a few minutes and try again, mixed results. any ideas?/
JA: What is the model of your '07 Audi?
Customer: a4 2.0t quattro
JA: Are you fixing your Quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have not yet fixed anything.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I know of. it seems to work only 20% of the time when we want to put it up, but it always works going down.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What usually fails and causes this type of fault here is an issue with one of the micro switch/sensors that send signals to the computer to tell it what position the top is in.When one of these fails to send the correct signals this can disable the top from operating properly and can be intermittent in some cases.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.The compatible scan tool is also used to monitor the switch signals to locate the faulty micro switch needing replaced.

I have seen other issues like the motor or control switch at fault but usually when these fail they fail and stop all together.I suspect with what is described here this is a fault with one of the micro switches sending a false signal needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete