Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My car had water in the gas tank. After flushing the tank

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: my car had water in the gas tank. After flushing the tank the car will not start.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: the car tries to start but when you stop turning the key it stop.
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: audi a4 2.0 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I flush the water out of the tank.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: how to the gas line leading to the engine.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the VIN. What exactly is your question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
send me instructions how to completely flush the water out of the fuel system.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Disconnect the fuel rail supply line and insert it into a big container. Then Remove the fuel pump relay and jumper it so that the fuel pump runs constantly until the fuel tank is empty. Then fill with fresh fuel and button of the fuel line to the rail and you will be good to go!