Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

2006 Audi A6 Quattra V6 3.2l, When key is placed in the

Customer Question

2006 Audi A6 Quattra V6 3.2l, When key is placed in the ignition and turned nothing happens, no lights to the dash come on the only thing that happens is the chimes sound. Nothing else I have not replaced any parts yet due to I just bought the vehicle from the auction. Where do I start?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So I take it you bout it not running? First thing to do is check all your fuses and relays. Make sure there in place and not blown. Then let me know. Do you have a volt meter? Becouse next we will need to check and verify if there is power to and from the ign. Switch.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We are way past basic maintenance level I too am a maintenance tech /shop owner, I'm having a difficult time with this vehicle due to I checked all the fuses, relays and wire connections there is voltage at every fuse box when key is turned to the # 2 position but no ignition or anything else when trying to start, no activity on the screen or instrument cluster in any position, Also even though there is power at the fuse boxes when the key is turned to the #2 position the Windows do not action when any of the switches are pressed, seats don't move, radio doesn't work nor do the headlights come on. I was thinking that maybe the issue was in the module that controls the interior of the vehicle but wasn't sure that was the correct path to take since I'm not very familiar with the Audi system. What do you think?
Ok sorry bout that, I wasn't sure what was checked based on the initial post.
So then I need you to scan all the modules and look for codes. Or even if they are awake and getting power. My guess would be it sat and the battery went completely dead. When that happens these will commonly (not all the time but still common) lose programming. Different things will be effected but usually it's in the power module (a glorified fuse box with a computer built in) depending on the programming that was effected you will see different problems. No lights, no start, no drive or reverse ect. So you may need to have it programmed.
But all the things you mentioned are not controlled by just one module but they all run thru the power module.So first see if you can communicate with different modules and if so are there codes.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No worries, I tried to do a diagnostic scan with my Otto test scanner and it doesn't. Pick up anything
Try looking at data on each module. But I'm figuring you need to start with reprogramming.