AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

This morning my 2008 Audi A6 4.2 S-Line started running

Customer Question

This morning my 2008 Audi A6 4.2 S-Line started running rough at low rpms. Almost like you are driving down a bumpy road (around 1500rpm or below). The check engine light flashes. If I increase rpms to 2k or so it goes away and the check engine light goes off. It comes back if I go to low rpms again (and so forth). Now this after noon, the check engine light is on always or flashes at low rpm.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello Randy , my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

The check engine light flashing means the engine computer is seeing a direct engine misfire and when this happens the computer will detect it and set and store a fault code for the misfiring cylinder. In order to determine which cylinder it is you are going to need to start with scanning the computer system and retrieving the fault code. Once you know which cylinder it is the problem is most likely a failing spark plug and or a coil. If you can get the scan done I will advise you from there. Most auto parts store such as Auto Zone will run this scan for you at no charge.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I will have it checked and let you know.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

As long as the light is flashing try not to drive it any further then the testing for the scan to avoid damage to the catalytic converter.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I will have it checked on Monday. I will use our A4 in the meantime.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay post back when you ready and we can work from there.