sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2005 Audi A4 Quattro, and when driving home today

Customer Question

Hi Pearl! I have a 2005 Audi A4 Quattro, and when driving home today my coolant light came on and my temperature gauge was a bit past the middle. However, after I shut the engine off, the temp went back to the middle almost immediately and the coolant light went off.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the coolant light blinked
JA: Are you fixing your A4 Quattro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I actually took it to a Volkswagen dealer and had the water pump and temperature sensor replaced about 1 year ago
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all.
Category: Audi
Expert:  david craig replied 10 months ago.

Hi Im David.......first thing is too check the level of the coolant. low coolant levels will cause both of these.

hello? do you still need assistance?

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause the engine to run hot. You could have a bad thermostat, the cooling fan may not be working, you could have a radiator restriction, a combustion leak into the cooling system or you could have an external coolant leak.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to check the coolant level. Has the level been checked?