Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Ive just recieved a new dual fan and the fan wires are black

Customer Question

Ive just recieved a new dual fan and the fan wires are black and red on the new fans the fans I have and the wires matching going to the fcm are orange and purple and green and yellow
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I just need to know which colors are hot and nuetral on each fan
JA: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: 2005 audi a4 1.8 quattro
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can replace my self but when I received the new fans the wires on both are red and black not the same colors on my oringinal
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

DC systems do not use a neutral only a power and a ground. Go to any auto parts store and get yourself a test light. That would be the easiest way to find the power wire. You can hook them up both ways, the worst that can happen is the fans will spin backwards. You want them pushing air towards the engine.

Please reply to this if you need more help, then we can continue this conversation. If not, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Remember, I do not get compensated for my time helping you unless you rate. Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That did not answer my question, the new unit wires are black and red the old unit wires are orange purple and green yellow from the 2 old units which is ground and which is power