Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician vw/ audi specialist

I have an A4 Avant 2.0TDi S line 2007, when I dip the clutch

Customer Question

Hi I have an A4 Avant 2.0TDi S line 2007, when I dip the clutch there is a rattling sound ? The car goes into gear ok.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Negative the clutch does not slip and I can change gear ok
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I will not fix this myself, time tooling etc, just wanted to know if this will completely fail and leave me stranded, I am in Germany with a RH drive British car
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The clutch is quite stiff to operate, but I reiterate the car drives fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hi I'm Kevin there are really two possible options as for the cause of your noise . The first and most likely cause is the clutch release bearing . When the clutch is depressed the bearing is forced against the clutch pressure plate and if worn can give a rattling noise . These tend to progressively get worse then give clearance issues with the clutch making it difficult to select gears after a while . The second option is that the dual mass flywheel is staring to break up but these normally give a vibration through engine on idle and when accelerating

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi KevinThanks very much for your reply.
This is what i suspected, the car goes into gear absolutely fine it just makes quite a load screeching noise when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. I did a quick check to see if the clutch slips, engaged the handbrake, put it into 1st gear lifted the clutch and the car is trying to pull away, no slippage.
If this is the release bearing what are the chances of the clutch failing and leaving me stranded?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Ok this is hard to 100% say but yes this is possible its the only point of contact between mechanism so yes there is a chance it could fail and leave you with no clutch at all

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Please rate my service