Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician vw/ audi specialist
84635724

Have a 2005 audi a4 1.8t so I bought the car in a wreck on

Customer Question

have a 2005 audi a4 1.8t so I bought the car in a wreck on the right side changed both right side doors, there plugged in and both the windows or door locks don't work on them only the speakers. also I drove the car to my house and now it doesn't start anymore just clicks. it was never hit in the front.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hi im kevin whith regard to the windows and door locks you will need to have car plugged in and see if you have comms with door modules .is click coming from engine bay ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the doors are plugged in and only the speakers work, no power locks or windows work. only the left side works that has never been changed. and yes clicking is from engine bay
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Ok it sounds like starter motor has failed door lock and window are controlled by the module in the door thatis part of window motor .you need to check to see if you have comms with this module using a diagnostic tool

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a snap on solus tool can I use that to check? and how can I confirm its a starter motor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the clicking is from the fuse box, so I doubt its starter. I'm with my mechanic he says cant be starter.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

You need to check at starter motor for a feed .there are two terminals on starter .one heavy gauge wire which should permenently have battery voltage and one smaller conne tion that will have battery voltage when key turned to start position

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is there anything else to check before starter? can check that within next half hour and how about for the right side doors that the windows and locks don't work?
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Plug car in and see if you can get comms with the drivers door module .snap on will do this

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
don't get any communication with drivers door module same with every other door no communication.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

On and on central convinience are there any fault codes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok codes I got
ecu passenger door no communication
right rear door module no communication
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Ok this would suggest the drivers door module is bad as it communicates with passenger through drivers .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but driver left and driver rear locks and windows work? I replaced both right side doors so could something be different?
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Do you have motors from old doors ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I changed only the right rear from the old door, that didn't change anything. if I change the right front from the old one could that change anything?
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

i would fit Motor to other door to rule this out

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok I will do the module later and let you know. however for the starting is there anything else to check before starter?
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

I would test at starter as this rules alot of curcuit out

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Come back to me once youve swapped motor and tested starter

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Perfect