AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

I had a new battery installed in my car and now my radio is

Customer Question

I had a new battery installed in my car and now my radio is in safe mode. I called the Audi dealer (90 miles away) & they said I have to go there & pay them $70 to reset it. Can you help me? I can't find any numbers for the radio.
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: Forgot to mention it is a 1996 Audi A-4 with the original Delta radio.
JA: What is the model of your '96 Audi?
Customer: Did you get that?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've only tried pushing scan & rds at same time (like I saw in one of the answers), but nothing happens. It said that the code is 0916. It said that I have to push scan & rds til 1000 appears, then enter code. 1000 doesn't appear, it just stays the same.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 3 months ago.

Do you have the Factory "Radio Instruction Booklet"?
IF so, is there a Radio Code Card in there, next to the Table of Contents?
IF not, have you asked the Dealer if they can give you the Unlock Code, over the phone, if you provide the V.I.N. & Radio Part Number & Radio Serial Number?
Please respond

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, don't have manual. Called dealer to ask for code. He was rude, wouldn't talk to me, and hung up. Said I had to bring the car in. I do have my VIN, but for radio serial number, do I have to remove the radio?

yes you would need to remove radio & have all the info on the Label available.......
I would call a few more dealers to get the code
We are not able to provide that, unless a Audi Employee sees this