AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

I HAVE A 2001 AUDI A4 QUATTRO 2.8 ENGINE CHANGED THE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2001 AUDI A4 QUATTRO 2.8 ENGINE CHANGED THE CONDENSOR FAN AND FAN CONTROL MODULE . THE CAR WAS FINE FOR ABOUT A WEEK , THEN THE FAN STOPPED WORKING GIVE THE SAME RESULT I HAVE CHECKED ALL THE FUSEES AND FOUND NO PROBLEM . I CAN'T FIND AN ACCURATE WIRE DIAGRAM ANYWHERE. I NEED TO FIND WHERE THE SIGNAL WIRE FOR THE CONTROL MODULE COMES FROM AND WHERE IS IT LOCATED SO I CAN TEST TO SEE IF I HAVE A DAMAGED WIRE OR ANOTHER COMPONET FAILURE. PS ,IF I SEND A PULSE OF POWER TO THE MODULE ITS STARTS TO WORK AND MAY WORK FOR AS LONG AS AN HOUR ,BUT WHEN I LET THE CAR SIT OVER NIGHT AGAIN I HAVE NO FAN
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: YES
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES I AM A CERTIFIED MECHANIC JUST TRYING TO GET A LITTLE HELP
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: NOPE
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to help you with this.

here is a diagram for the fans.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok this car has only 1 electric fan and a mechanical clutch fan also
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That diagram is not correct
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i DO NEED SOME MORE INFORMATION

1. I DO NEED A VIN #
  2. WAS THE VEHICLE IN AN ACCIDENT RECENTLY ? IF SO WHERE WAS THE IMPACT?
  3. DOES THE COMPRESSOR NOT OPERATE WHEN THE FAN DOES NOT OPERATE?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

THANKS

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
WAUDH68D51A127551 THIS IS A CALIFORNIA EMISSION CAR NO WRECK AND YES COMPRESSOR OPERATES WHEN FAN is NOT WORKING
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A correct diagram would really help me .
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

ON THE LOWER RADIATOR HOSE IS THERE A COOLANT SENSOR?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

ok do you what happens if you ground pin 2 at that sensor connector and then the same to pin 4

please let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

what is the resistance of the control module pin #1 to ground and then when running then perform a voltage drop on the same pin to ground point of the a pillar?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I will have to do that in morning the info so far I already did so I will ck that in morning but so you know I can pulse voltage into module at triger Wire and fan will work for a while but will not work next morning this problem is intermitant. Where does that wire originate from is it the computer or control head or is it supposed to be 12 volts maybee a bad conection or wire.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

which pin please . pic will help!!

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Black with red stripe at module don't have pin currently I'm not at my Shop now but if needed I will get that in morning hope color helps
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think that wire runs to the cluster .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also believe it has a 5 amp fuse on it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just don't know where it originates from
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

back of the alternator the blue wire. check the resistance of that wire

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

putting the kids to sleep will hear from you in the morning!!!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

hey just checking in!!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm working on getting that resistance on that blue wire now ,had to knock out couple of quick jobs but we are on it now
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

understand!!