AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

I have been getting a fault code of PO011 on my audi a4. I

Customer Question

I have been getting a fault code of PO011 on my audi a4. I replaced the VVT solenoid and the same came back a day later. I was looking to see if you could assist in what my next troubleshooting steps would be.
thanks
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

is this the same 2007 that i have helped you out before?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Bundle of fun.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

YOU HAVE VAG COM CORRECT? DOES THE MOTOR KNOCK OR NOISY ON TOP NEAR THE FUEL PUMP?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. What is Vag Com ? I dont hear any noise and there isnt any knocking that I can tell.
thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

vag com is a scan tool where you can see values while running to isolate what the timing and other sensors are doing

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a Inova 3030a CanOBD2 scan tool. What would you like me to do as the next step?
thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

did you pull the high pressure fuel pump to see if the follower is worn through?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. Is this a difficult process? I have no symptoms from my engine just the code with the check engine light
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

you need to loosen the hard line at the pump bottom and then take the 3 t30 bolts out to remove the pump for inspection.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do i need to worry about anything dropping int the engine? When I get it out what am I looking for?
thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

no not at this time

look at pic need to remove pump and you see the follower inside where the fuel pump is mounted .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have attached the pictures. I snapped the connector off of the Fuel pressure regulator valve N276. I plan on buying a High-pressure fuel pump replacement kit. Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase online? I plan on getting the whole unit , follower and new seal.
thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

ouch !!! try ecs tuning . the cover needs to be remoed that hides the chain and need to check 2 things the screen that the oul goes into the cover and the 3 teflon rings to make sure that it is not broken

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Attached are the parts that i purchased. Does it look like I missed anything?
thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

that is good now you will need the gasket for the timing chain cover too so you can do a visual inspection and a timing check

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Am i going to need to work on the timing before I replace the high pressure fuel pump? If not I would like to put everything back together to get the car running.
thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just wanted to check with you before I install my parts. Can I just install them in reverse of the way that I took them off? Also what am I doing with the timing chain for the fault code po011?
Thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

there is some visual inspections needed as stated before of the timing chain cover screen and the 3 teflon rings to make sure no damage or blockage!!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you give me a picture of what I need to look for? Is the timing cover screen inside where i took off the high pressure fuel pump?
thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

here is the pic the left is the place for the 3 teflon rings are mounted and the lower right is the place where the screen is at

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

here is a side view

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not in a position to take off the timing chain cover. I didn't realize that this was going to be the next step in checking the cam follower. Am I able to put this back together with the new parts or do I need to put it on a flatbed and ship it to Denver? I didn't think that this would be the cause of the code that i was originally getting. Please advise.
thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

the cam follower is the first tell tale sign because the metal worn away gets clogged in the screen.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay. I replaced the cam follower and the High pressure fuel pump. I follower wasn't worn but I replaced it anyway. Put it all back together and I still have the po011 code. What would you recommend for my next step?
Thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

you need to take it back apart and check the screen and teflon seals

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you saying that there would be something in the screen that would be causing this code? If so what would it be? If this is the only next option I will take the car into a mechanic to get this done.
Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

we can have a phone convo but it will have to be tomorrow . i have to put the kids to sleep.