Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

My 2004 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 has a slight hesitation when

Customer Question

My 2004 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 has a slight hesitation when starting from a stop. I had a code for the mass airflow sensor so I replaced the engine air filter and mass airflow sensor. After completing this change, I noticed the manifold intake to flex (like flexing a muscle) when you rev the engine. Is this normal? Do I have a seal inside the engine that is not working properly that cannot be detected by a smoke test? Is something else going on that needs to be addressed? Please let me know. Thanks. Tom
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You could have a clog in the cats, this would restrict the flow of the engine and also give you a hesitation.

Did the codes come back? Which codes do you still have?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did not read the codes however a friend of mine did/ his equipment. He stated the code was for the mass airflow sensor only. I will ask for the code when I see him. Is there a way to unclog the catalytic converters or do they have to be replaced? Is the flexing seen on the manifold intake normal?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

That is normal, I would have to see it, but when you snap the throttle there will be some vacuum in the air pipe.

You need to get the codes and test drive it while looking at the live data on the scan tool. Look at the o2 sensor data and MAF data. check on the short and long term fuel trims, also when you have a code you can look at the freeze frame data.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help?

Thanks Dan