Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

We have an A1 2015, the airbag light is on and none of the

Customer Question

We have an A1 2015, the airbag light is on and none of the steering wheel controls work. not the horn nor the stereo controls. thanks
JA: Have you checked the codes? Is anything interfering with the seatbelt switch?
Customer: havne't check the codes, how do i check them
JA: What is the model of your '15 Audi?
Customer: A1
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i haven't tried anything :) was hoping to find the information here, it happened about a month ago, i presumed i'd just need to take it to get fixed
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

HI there,

To get the codes you would need to get a scan tool that can read the air bag module.

Based on your description and symptoms, it's likely that the spiral cable in the steering column has failed. I find it odd that it would happen on a model this new to be honest, but suggest you contact the dealer. This should be covered under warranty and not cost you a dime to replace. I checked the data base and don't see any recalls for the air bags, but again, it should still be covered under warranty.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!