AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

Left brake light and trun signal stops working about 20 mins

Customer Question

Left brake light and trun signal stops working about 20 mins after starting the car and driving for about 20 min. After turning the engine off and key back to on position they work fine then 20 mins down the road they stop working again. And the message and the dash comme up saying the bulbs are out. 2008 a6 Quattro 4.2L
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Yes has wheel lock. Works fine in park. But starts acting up after about 20 mins. Of driving.The tail lights and reverse lights are standard bulbs and in the same fixture the stop and turn lights are LED.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I thought the standard bulbs were out until I opened the fixture and found they were fine. Then I noticed two contacts that energize the LED part of the fixture. They are held in place by plastic cylinders that were cracked. I used shrink wrap to keep them together and it worked great. But again they still stop working after about 20 min. Of driving. I used a soft Bristel brush to clean the contacts and a small amount of bulb grease to keep from corroding. At this point I think a module needs to be reset but when it comes to diagnostic tools I am limited. And AUDI charged me $95 to replace a bulb in the front clearance light so to fix this I'm sure they would charge somewhere around thousands
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The tilt steering switch sometimes works and other times it doesn't. Other than that it all stock on after market parts were ever added so it's just AUDI through and through
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Just logged today and am checking all the long waiting customers to see if they still need help. If so let me know.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris