peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.

2003 audi tt, replaced convertable top, trunk wont open gas

Customer Question

2003 audi tt
JA: What is the model of your '03 Audi?
Customer: replaced convertable top
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trunk wont open gas cap wont work convertable light on dash on no reset working light goes out with top all the way down but not when closed and stops about 10" short odf closingf
JA: Has the battery died recently?
Customer: new date on batt
5 17 16
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: check engine light on have replaced many top no problem like this before
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This type of fault here is usually caused by an internal electrical fault with one of the top micro switches that sends signals on what positions components of the top are in.If one or more of these have failed internally this causes this issue..What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out with a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.In allot of cases the same scan tool is used to monitor the switch signals to locate any at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete