peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a 2002 audi a4 v6. I got it like a month ago with

Customer Question

Hi Mike,my name is***** have a 2002 audi a4 v6. I got it like a month ago with 250k on it. Recently I noticed that the car revs by itself on idle or even in motion and it begins to jerk seriously. Taken it to my mechanic. He did an adaptation or something like that. Still the jerking continues
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One common cause for the engine to rev up by itself is a vacuum leak on the engine needing located and repaired.This can be a loose or damaged vacuum hose or even a leaking gasket like an intake gasket leaking or similar needing replaced.If you have not had the engine checked over for any leaks this needs done and in some cases a smoke machine is needed to inject smoke into the intake to locate any hard to see leaks like the intake gaskets leaking.

If the check engine light has come on with this issue here the fault codes need checked with a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are set and from there repaired to correct this fault.

The other issue can be a fault with one of the injectors acting up allowing to much fuel which will cause an uneven idle or rev and jerk feel.This should be tested as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete