Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Oil sensor light is on. Car is making a noise when idle.

Customer Question

Oil sensor light is on. Car is making a noise when idle. Once you push on the gas, the noise stops
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: about 120000, its 2002
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: as stated earlier, the oild sensor light is on. Just had an oil change and the oil was low again. Loud noise when you start the car but goes away when you give it gas
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Audi Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Audi Mechanic should know about your Audi?
Customer: Im trying to figure out what is wrong with it without fixing all the wrong stuff first. Don't want to spend alot of money. Would rather know what the issue so and have it fixed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE master technician and I have european vehicle experience.

Lifter and possibly timing chain noise, common problem. The oil pick up screen in the bottom of the oil pan becomes clogged and you will have low oil pressure at idle, causing insufficient oil pressure to the timing chain tensioners, and lifters.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You may also have engine bearing damage from the engine lacking oil flow, this will contribute to the low oil light at idle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does this mean it needs a new engine?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

It could possibly be fixed, but yes, most shops will tell you it needs a new engine. Just be prepared.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Dan again, hoping you are satisfied with my service.
Could you please rate the answer, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help? were you able to get the engine looked at?

If my information was helpful please rate the answer, it would help me out a lot if you did. Thanks.