Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Drain oil indicator is on and I have an hour and half to

Customer Question

Drain oil indicator is on and I have an hour and half to drive. Is car drivable
JA: When was your last oil change? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 48k and Jan last oil change
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Minimum oil indicator came on while driving. Pull 1 and 1/2 quarts of oils in. Went to check level and it states please drain oil.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. No options nothing is open
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. Don't know how to drain it.
JA: Is there anything else the Audi Mechanic should be aware of about your Audi?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.

HI,

What year, model and engine size of your Audi?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Audi Q5 2012
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.

HI,

Ok, there is a drain bolt on bottom the pan that takes a hex wrench/socket to remove. you would need to jack the front of the vehicle up in order to have enough room to remove the drain bolt and drain some out.

If you are not in position to do this, it is driveable, but keep it at 60mph or under. With it overfilled, it creates more pressure in the crankcase the faster you go, which could possibly force some oil past the rear main seal and cause it to start leaking. As long as you keep it at 60mph or under, it will be safe to drive and not cause any damage

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?