Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

1999 audi a6 quarroto, when cold , it starts up and run

Customer Question

1999 audi a6 quarroto, when cold , it starts up and run great. Check voltage at fuse 28 and 29. Both fuse were good. After driving for 10-15 minutes, engine shuts off like there is no gas. Check bot fuses 28 and 29, not voltage.After car sitsa for approximately 20-30 minutes, car STARTS.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Can you tell me which location these fuse are at and when the engine stalls are you loosing spark or injector pulse or fuel pressure. Post back when you can and I will see if I can help you determine the cause.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am waiting for your response. Dp you have a estimated time of your response?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The fuses are located in fuse panel on driver side. Fuse #28 is the Fuel Pump Relay and #29 is the Control Unit engine.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

If you loosing power on both of these fuses then it sounds like you have a connection concern at the fuse panel. Have you taken a close look at the connections at the fuse panel?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is +12 volts at both fuses when I start the car. I drive 10-15 miles, car running fine. Car stops, as though not fuel. I check bothe of thes fuses and there is not voltage. I wait approx. 20 minutes and the car stars fine!
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Okay then I would check the power side of both fuse at the fuse pane for a connection issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm trying to understand that when the car is cool, it runs great! As I said before, after driving 10-15 miles, it cuts off as though there is no fuel. I can wait about 20 minutes and then it cranks up fine. I thought it was the fuel relay and replaced it. My question is why is there no power to fuse #28 after the car stop. Then when it cools off, there is voltage and the car drives fine until 10-15 more miles of driving. This, to me rules out the fuel pump. Whereeve the power comes from to get to fuel #28 is the problem! What about the CPU power relay or the cpu?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

To me that indicates a connection problem which can be affected by heat. With out looking at the connections at the fuse panel on the affected fuse I can not say for sure what is failing. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else has something different to offer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay. Until this problem, no one or nothing touched the fuse panel. Thanks for your insight and please open it up to someone with a little more expertise.