gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy

I havwe a 2007 Audi A4 2.0t quattro, actually it is my

Customer Question

I havwe a 2007 Audi A4 2.0t quattro, actually it is my daughters. Had the engine replaced at an independent who is now trying to wash their hands of it so have been trying to do some work. Car has significant power loss. Seems to run fine on a lat rode but take off and on hills is a dog. When on a hill and give more gas pedal, the car shifts down to third gear, rpms are high for a second and then drops down. Car remains with reduced power until off of hill. If have gas pedal down to far car will not want to shift out of 3rd, if ease off the gas pedal, car will shift and gradually gain speed on the flat road. slightly rough idle. Replaced the DV and PCV, car has these codes P0016, P0171, P0299. Thanks for your help
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 4 months ago.

The lean condition (p0171) and the turbo underboost may be related- remove the turbo bypass valve from underneath, and check to see if it is broken internally. If it is the old style, the diaphragm tears..

I would be more worried about the crank/cam allocation fault- see if you can clear it, if it comes back. If so, then I would suspect that the timing may be off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Already replaced the bypass valve. Have checked the timing also.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
much for follow up. Waste of money.

so if you clear the faults, all of these faults come back again?

Does it stumble when sitting at idle? Do you have a scan tool (VAG-COM?) that allows you to see measured value blocks? If so, check MVB 32 in the engine, there are two % values there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is stumbling at idle. I have a scan tool and will check to see if I can get you those values. Interestingly after replacing the bypass valve and pcv it idles rougher.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
those 3 faults listed came back after replacing the bypass and pcv

any word on the value blocks? I'm wondering if you have a bad Mass Air Flow sensor