Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs

I have a 2008 Audi S6 which has developed an intermittent

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Audi S6 which has developed an intermittent coolant leak. I have recently had the reservoir and water pump replaced but this time the leak appears to be originating from a weep hole in the block below the intake manifold. Any ideas of what this may be about?
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wanted to add that my car is now at a mechanic who identified the information that I provided. I am hoping you will be able to provide enough information on this so we can determine if this is something they can address or if I will need to take my car to the dealership.(ugh!!) Thanks.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need the vin # ***** the vehicle to pull up the factory information and tech bulletins

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

ok please check fuses under hood. f53,f51 and f54 . make sure they are good and have 12 volts

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

sorry wrong info . let me check on the leak issue!!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please provide me with some feedback on my actual problem, I'm beginning to wonder if I've been scammed.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

no scam here !!! in the pic can you pinpoint what area you see coolant?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I see coolant on the garage floor. The mechanic I took the car to told me that they did a pressure check and at first this did not detect any leak, but after running the car for 20-30 minutes they did see a very slight leak from what they referred to as a weep hole on the side of the block under the intake manifold. Looking at the photo you sent, I am wondering if I misheard him and actually he was referring to the exhaust manifold. It is on the passenger side of the vehicle toward the front of the engine and I believe is able to drip directly to the floor. It almost seems intermittent as well as sometimes after driving the car I see no leakage and other times I do. When it does leak it is at a low rate.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

in the spare tire area is a 3x5 white sticker . its the options sticker . can you post a pic of it . there are 4 types of cooling set ups and i need to distinguish the system you have !!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here you go. I may have to take the car to the dealership as I can not wait any longer to get it fixed.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

ok you have a water cooled alternator . on that side there is a water adapter around the block going to a hose. under the adapter is the alternator with hoses . so it can be any of the connections or even the alternator leaking coolant. it is hard due to the fact my eyes are not there for me to see .

see pic to show how that is

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dropped the car off at Livermore Audi yesterday as I do not feel this method was going to provide a resolution. This was probably not a good type of problem to try to identify in this manner.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Hey i do understnd . Well you know you have a master Audi Tech if you need any other help!!

let me know what you find!!