FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

I bottomed out my 2005 Audi A4 (3.0 V6). I didn't know it at

Customer Question

I bottomed out my 2005 Audi A4 (3.0 V6). I didn't know it at the time, but it cracked the oil pan. After about 10 min driving, the oil pressure light lit up and the car shut off just 1 second after. Had it towed, ordered new pan. Installed new pan, filled with oil, and now the car barely runs, with a check engine light flashing. Car is in limp mode I think. I had codes run and I get a huge list, in order, p0342,p0300,p0301,p0303,p0302,p0722,p0106,p0139,p159. Basically a ton of misfires, but nothing that helps me understand the oil pan issue. I was thinking of replacing the oil level sending unit, but I don't have a oil light on the dash. This is stumping me, and I am a certified aircraft mechanic and a mechanical engineer. Please help....
Category: Audi
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the engine is making any noise when it is running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just occasional backfiring (mild), like popping or thudding from the exhaust. The car barely runs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, shudders hard, etc. All the thing you would expect in limp mode.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You need to start by checking the compression. Running the engine low on oil may have caused the variable timing actuator to fail. It can also be more serious and caused camshaft damage. Have you done a compression test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil was screened to looK for debris, it was prestine. Compression not a factor. What should I look for to test the VTA?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If it was off the compression would be off when checked. Do you have a vacuum gauge? If so what is the reading at idle and is it steady?