AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

There. I have an audi a5 sportback with start/stop function

Customer Question

Hello there. I have an audi a5 sportback with start/stop function that is now not working
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Audi. The Audi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I replaced the battery and after i did that start/stop system has a fault
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Put an original audi battery. Checked vag com but ive read that i need to adjust some values in the can gateway for the system to be enabled
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Audi Mechanic should know about your Audi?
Customer: I had a starter failure. Thought it was the battery so i changed battery on spot but not original from audi. The start/stop had a fault immediately after. Then went to the mechanic and changed starter. Then problem with start stop still there. So i put an original battery. No fix. So the vag fault is:
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Starter control error: 50 short to plus and 50 short to ground
Category: Audi
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Hi im kevin do you have the a tual fault code?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was P3052 starter control and the 50 short to ground and 50 short to plusI don't have th fault code now :/
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I read somewhere the i need to reprogram the values for the start/stop to work somewhere in CAN gateway. But i cant find it or i think i need security code
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
You need to programme battery and also battery need to be agm type
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I put original battery from Audi. I put the JBL and serial number
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Ok so youve coded battery .i really need to code to guide further no can bus coding required after changing battery normally
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Using Xtool
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Never seen that one before il opt out see if another tech has any ideas
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. in the spare tire area is a white 3x5 sticker with option codes . can you take a picture and post it here. i need that information to assist thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cant find the sticker.But here is a useful information. The battery guy connected a booster on the battery poles during the process of changing the battery. That was not the right way to change battery. Right after that start/stop started failing.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
i do need that sticker photograph toget the correct wiring diagram to assist!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no sticker in my car. U want chassis number instead?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
i can try that ...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Attach vin number
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
4 cylinder , v6, or v8 ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
4 cylinder Tdi Manual 2.0
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
ok let me see !!! this will take a bit!!! thanks