peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Audi Allroad Quattro: Morning. I have an Audi Allroad 2005.

Customer Question

Morning. I have an Audi Allroad 2005. V-6
I have lost my horn, lights, wipers, turn signals and blower for AC/heat.
I have replaced the ignition and load reduction relay.....no help. I did each of these twice
just in case I received a bad part.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Did all of these act up/fail at the same time?Has anything after market been wired into your model at all here before this issue occurred? Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all happened at the same time.No after market items have been installed. It is all stock.Thanks,
Steve
Does this have the 3.0 or 3.2 liter engine and is this a sedan or a wagon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
39;05 Allroad with the 2.7 bi turbo V-6
Are you getting power to the black/yellow wires at the horns when pressing the horn button?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can check. However the horn does not work along with all the other items I mentioned. So I doubt there is power to those wires.
If you can I would check this to see if we are missing a ground for all these issues or starting off with a power source issue.Check the opposite wire at each horn and see if there is a ground signal at any time with the horn pad pressed or released and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. The horn/airbag is off the car when I replaced the ignition switch so I'll have to reconnect first.
O.k.,let me know when your ready so we know which way to test and go with this here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will be back later. I have an errand or two to run....thanks
No problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I was checking the horn I saw a wire (redish in color)...I tried to attach a photo but could not....that feeds into the back of the ignition switch. It is burned. The plastic is split near where it enters the 'cannon' plug that fits over the end of the ignition switch. Could this be the culprit? If so what does it mean?Thanks
this usually indicates the ignition switch itself is at fault here.I have seen the ignition switch fail in the past before causing this fault here.Check this wire to see if it rubbed through at any point shorting out and repair as needed.I would replace the switch. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the ignition switch twice. No help. Any other suggestions?
The only other thing this can be is this burned wire is shorted at one point and the short needs located and repaired or there is an issue with what this wire feeds that is shorting out.Usually though all the components the wire feeds will have a fuse so I dont think this is the cause,this sounds more like a wire at fault from the switch shorted to a dash component grounding out needing repaired.You will have to trace and inspect the wiring to locate the short and repair it from there. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will trace this and let you know. I suppose this could have shorted out both ignition switches I have installed........Steve
Let me know what you come up with here.It is very possible the new switch has been shorted out and damaged here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete. I have been busy all day but am looking at the car again now. I'll let you know what I find on the burnt wire....Steve
No problem.Reply when your ready.If I do not respond back right away I will as soon as I can. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I tried to trace the burnt wire. Of course it goes into a wire bundle and disappears into the netherworld below. It must resurface where the 213 load reduction relay is. I have checked all the fuses underneath there and they all look fine.
It doesn't appear to be shorting out with another wire where it 'gangs' into the backside of the ignition switch either. hmmm.
Can you tell me the exact color of this wire and I will see if I can locate where it leads to? Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is red (there many red ones unfortunately). No stripe on it. I wish I had a schematic of it.....Thanks,
Steve
O.k.,yeah this is hard to say which one this is here.The short is either in the wire itself or one of the components it feeds.Do you know if this wire has voltage on it at all key on or off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if it has voltage to it or from it. I am not at home anymore. I will be gone out of the country till Tuesday. So the car is just sitting there waiting for me to return. I'll have to work on it then.
I see there are several red wires at this switch and they are main power feeds into the switch itself.If you can find out if it has power this may help and just let me know when your ready. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll check to confirm which has power. Since there are so many wires attached to the back of the ignition switch it will be difficult to describe. Is there a way to send a photo so I can point to the damaged wire? Or is it identified somehow I'm not seeing?
Thank you.
Usually there is a link like a paper clip icon to send photos.If you can send a photo this may help. Thanks Pete