Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician
Experience:  10 years in Vw and Audi Field
22815973

I have been having problems with my P and N in my 2004 Audi

Customer Question

I have been having problems with my P and N in my 2004 Audi A6 CVT 3.0 for a few months now. After driving the car for about 25 minutes, I am unable to start the car again for about 2 hours. I was told that this might have to do with my car's neutral safety switch aka range switch. I then came to find out that since my car is a CVT version that this switch is a sensor that is attached to the car's TCM and will engage gears by the position and voltage of the cable. The problem is that I am not getting any codes associated with P0706 and the range sensor so I am being told that this might not be the problem. I am trying to track down other possible problems that could cause the P and N not to respond after 25 minutes of driving.
Category: Audi
Expert:  internal88 replied 8 months ago.
I'm Matt - Audi tech.The P0706 is the TCM problem.We have replaced the TCM and was able to program and perform the adaptation process using the Ross tech.Problem fixed.Please rate me positive, thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Matt I do not understand the answer. I am not getting any codes associated with the TCM or range sensor. What I was told is if it was a problem that I would get that P0706.
There is a tech service bulletin for the P0706 code. The codes for the bulletin (labeled 37-07-15 released on October 2007) refer specifically to the CVT transmission. The released bulletin recommend to replace transmission control module. Most of the repair with the 706 code is fixed by replacing the TCM.
It is the not the neutral safety switch problem.
Almost 95% repair was fixed by the TCM. The other 5% was the transmission itself.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hey Matt,Interesting, let me see if I can locate this bulletin. I will also contact the company that rebuit my TCM from it being in limp mode.
TSB# ***** addresses this issue specifically.Please rate me positive,thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hey MattI am getting asked if my car is running the P0706 code from the TCM repair guys. My car is not coming up with this code. Since this is the case does this tech service bulletin refer to me even though I am not getting the code?
If you are not getting the 706 code then the TCM is ok.I will have opt out and another tech can help you. Please do not rate me.
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 8 months ago.
I can help you out here , do you have any faults in any control modules for the shifter itself ??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello no I dont. There are no codes stored for the shifter. Another reason why we can't track down the problem we are getting no codes for this problem.
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 8 months ago.
OK we have seen many issues with shifters causing this issue what you will need to do is get a audi capable scan tool and see if the shifter is showing the vehicle in park position when the car is not cranking for you more then likely you will see that the shifter is telling the TCM and ECM that its not in park and thats why it wont start . Please dont forget to provide positive feedback/rating for the help provided thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay if I test the shifter and find out that this is the problem what will I actually need to replace? Would I need to replace the entire shifter assembly or is there a electronic board with magnets right behind the face plate that would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not able to get the car scanned at this time. I was able to find a new printed circuit board that fits behind the shifter. I replaced it and I am still having this problem. Would I need to replace the entire shifter assembly?