Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

2005 A6 with 3.2l engine, stalls at high rpm (second gear only),

Customer Question

2005 A6 with 3.2l engine, stalls at high rpm (second gear only), DTcs for adaptation on both banks. There was a 3rd DTC but I don't remember (did not seem very relevant). Owner says vehicle stalled out twice but restarted immediately. Installed new fuelpump 3 weeks ago and vehicle was fine for 3 weeks
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: I just tested the battery (it's almost new but a Duralast): it tests good but low on charge. At the previous visit I kept getting DTCs for sensors at the intake manifold (but they did never re-appear
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Well, even with my 42 years mechanic and master tech this one kind of stumps me. I hope for a really good input here
JA: Is there anything else the Audi Mechanic should be aware of about your Audi?
Customer: An AC compressor was installed (not by me) last week
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that DTC that I could not remember was for the fuelrail pressure sensor. That sensor is however NEW; it was installed by the dealership @6 weeks ago
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.When you did your scan can you give me the actual fault code and or codes your getting and when it stalls out have you check the fuel pressure on the new pump? Normal fuel pressure needs to be right at 87 PSI, can you check this and post back with the fault codes as well as the pressure reading and I will see if I can help you with this,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You have to do better than that. I'm 42 year master mechanic and do NOT contact you for simple answers. I have a hard case to crack and ii is NOT the obvious answer. I would not contact you if it was that simple. Give me some real help or I will terminate this right away and get my money back
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well? The problem here seems to be electrical, an intermittent short in a position sensor or perhaps fuelpump control module. If you cannot provide any info towards this or common failure in this area please let me know right away. I do not need to have any more time wasted on this. If you cannot help I will have to find someone who can. If I don't see a response within the next hour I will close this as 'unsatisfactory' and dispute the charges
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
I need something to go on and the codes would be very helpful as you know. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else has a good guess.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You are guessing? That's not the help that is needed