AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

P1136 fault code JA: Sometimes things that you think will

Customer Question

P1136 fault code
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Audi. The Audi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Any thoughts?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Jusr recently purchasedthis car. 80k miles. Runs very well. no problems except for check engine light
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Audi Mechanic should know about your Audi?
Customer: Previous owner installed a K&N air filter.........any chance that could have fooled the MAF?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site..What is the year make model and engine of it please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2001 Audi tt quattro 1.8L turbo
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Throwing P1136 fault codeprevious owner installed K&N oiled permanent air filter
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
I see, thanks. The cold air intake shouldn't effect the MAF as long as the MAF sensor is hooked up and in place. It is possible that it's bad though. Also if it runs good, most likely the fuel pressure is up to par. Does the code come back after clearing it and driving some?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should I try cleaning/replacing the MAF?If that were the source of my code, would it not throw additional codes?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How soon will the check engine light go out after I find and fix the problem. ......or will I need to manually rest set that?
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
A phone call would not be in your best interest. I am not able to draw diagrams or give instructions over the phone..If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the test instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the "front flange? "
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
That is normally the front part of the exhaust pipe, where it bolts to the engine.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have cleared code twice. .....comes back in 30 to 40 miles
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have run out of time need to pick up kids from ball practice. Will try back another day.
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
The tests would have to done actually, to know for sure what is wrong.