Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a short to ground that is constantly blowing fuse 29 JA:

Customer Question

I have a short to ground that is constantly blowing fuse 29
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Audi. The Audi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: fuse 29 keeps blowing
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checking resistance at the coil pack connectors
JA: Is there anything else the Audi Mechanic should be aware of about your Audi?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 7 months ago.
Year?Model?Engine?Transmission?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2001 Audi S4 2.7tt manual transmission
.sorry for the delay.............Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”.Thank you for the added info..........IF you are referring to Fuse 29, located in the Inside Fuse Panel, this is the "Timing Fuse"This would power a couple of Components that have to do with Engine Timing from the ECM (Engine Control Module) & Ignition Module that activates the Engine Timing when started & runningUse of Dealer Scan Tool is needed to Test & pinpointapprx 1 hour labor.IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating..Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A..NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed..If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better..Rating is very Important to our Service.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have checked for continuity at the coil pack connectors and those are fine. I'm currently getting 1.7 ohms with test lead in fuse slot 29 and nothing changes when i take out the fuel pump relay. Ive already switched leak detection pumps and i unplugged my ecu so those arent it either. I'm not sure what else to check for
sorry for the misunderstanding.........Continuity will not provide the info you need..........As I stated, there are a number of Modules powered thru Fuse 29, that controls the Timing.The only way to find the issue is with Dealer Scan Tool, as there is NO Voltage / Ohm Test that would confirm "which Module" is the cause.This would be DATA thru the Scan Tool to see if the Timing Curve causes a dead short thru one of the Modules or the ECM
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What modules are powered through fuse 29? I have an Audi scan tool but my car is currently taken apart with the battery disconnected. Wouldn't testing the modules on the circuit help to find the short? I'm getting P1472 short to ground
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When you say the timing curve do you mean that the car being off timing could cause the short?
Not sure where you got P1472, as I do not show that in Audi Factory Trouble CodesIF the P Code is not listed, then:Either the code may not be valid for this vehicle or year.Or the information published by the OEM does not include this code for this vehicle year..When Starting & vehicle Starts, the Computer checks & sets the Timing (advanced / retarded) to make the engine run & idleAs I stated, Fuse 29 powers a number of components & you need DATA to run testing & help pinpoint which Module or if it is the ECM
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The official Audi code is 17880
I already have that............As I stated P1472 is not showing in Factory Trouble Codes for 2001 Audi S4 2.7It would have been helpful if you would have posted that firstI have answered to the Fuse 29 question & will opt out to see if someone else can help, as you do not want to have the vehicle Tested properlyThanks
.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!! I'm sorry that the other person did not assist you. Let's get to the bottom of your issue!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. I do need a vin # ***** pull the correct wiring and repair information to assist. thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
what happens if you disconnect the coil connector does the fuse 29 blow?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thanks, ***** ***** to figure it out. My fuel pump was dead. Over-engineered Audi has no schraeder valve to test for pressure so that mislead me.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
great glad to hear if you still need any assistance down the road you can request me!! thanks