Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

Audi Q 7: My 2007 Audi Q7 has a high pitched whistling noise

Customer Question

My 2007 Audi Q7 has a high pitched whistling noise and it only happens when moving, but not all of the time - when slowing down it quietens and stops when the car stops - quite unpredictable when it will start and stop - it is quite irritating
Category: Audi
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The most common cause for the type of whistling noise you are describing on your Q7 can be caused by a defective Crankcase Pressure Regulating Valve located at the back of the cylinder head above the camshaft position sensors. In order to determine if in fact that is the case you are going to need to check it. See the steps in the link below to do so. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your response but this noise while sounding the same does not have the same characteristics as followsNo sound when sitting and idlingAppears to be a function of airflowHitting a bump my turn it on off or change pitchMay just start or stop randomlySounds to be coming from drive shaft areaThanksRoy
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Sounds can travel. Are you sure its not the Crankcase Pressure Regulating Valve?