Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

Just finished having my Audi serviced and a couple days

Customer Question

Hi There. Just finished having my Audi serviced and a couple days later I get the indicator that the alternator is not charging the battery. could be a coincidence but weird that it happens not too long after the car was serviced. Wondering if there's some preliminary things I can do before wasting my money at the dealership.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Battery was purchased in September.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Audi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

I would start by checking the belt. While it is strange that it would happen after it was service, if the belts weren't touched then it is just a likely coincidence. Really though, without being able to test the alternator there isn't a lot you can do. Check and make sure the drive belt hasn't broken as the alternator won't charge if it has. You can also take the car up to a parts store and ask them to check the charging system. Most will do this at no charge and at least you will then know if the case is the alternator not charging.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there any possibility it's just the battery?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

It would be rare, the light for the alternator should only show when the alternator stops charging the battery. This is either the battery light or the charge gauge. The parts store can also test the battery right on the car, but sorry to say it's not the likely suspect here.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?