Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

No power at fuses 28, 29 and 34, 2001 AUDI Allroad Quattro,

Customer Question

No power at fuses 28, 29 and 34, 2001 AUDI Allroad Quattro
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: In the past year, or so there has been a misfiring mostly at ideling. Few day ago I drove home okay, but in the morning the car would crank but no start
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, but do not have the right electrical diagram, and can not find what is feeding fuse 29 with power
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else important you think the Audi Mechanic should know about your Audi?
Customer: I need to know what if feeding fuse 29, for now
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything after market been wired into your vehicle at all like a remote start or alarm system?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, everything is original, and never installed anything aftermarket. The car has been running fairly good for years, except that for the past year or so the once in 20-25 seconds misfiring became once every 2-3 seconds. Otherwise everything works on this complicated car. The misfiring could be related or not to the new symptom.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had the check engine light on for two years, but did not bother about it because the engine worked fine. Last week, after the misfiring became more often I took the car to a local parts store to see what codes I have; there were three codes: P421, 491 and 492

I apologize for the delay.

Is this an A4 model or A 6 model and a sedan or wagon?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The model is in the subject of this trend: 2001 Allroad Quattro. Only one spec for this model, 2.7 l by-turbo, etc.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you have the wiring diagram for this model? If positive, please reply with it. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am going to leave in 10-15 min. and be back late this evening. Please reply with either the electrical diagram showing where the fuse 29 is fed from, or some hint where to look for.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would be nice if you could reply within the above timeframe

I am looking at the diagram info now it may take me several minutes to locate the fuses here on this model but I will reply as soon as I can with it.

O.k.,after looking at the info on this here I dont have the diagrams we need on this but someone else here might.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

• The prior tech has opted out.
  • Would you like me to try?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Chris, I need the exact wiring diagram for my 2001 Allroad Quattro, specifically the area of fuse 29. Where is this fuse fed from? There are many diagrams offered online, but none is matching what I have into my car. Either the color Kroc the wires, or the relay is not exactly what I have. And everything in my car is original.
Please read the clarifications given on this trend.Thanks,
Chris

Below is a link, is that the diagram you needed?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/fuse29.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On your screen you should see a rating 1-5 stars. Please make sure to select one. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Right now I have the flu and am coughing my head off. I can not talk on the phone. I am hoping to be sick free come Friday.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This diagram shows five contacts (pins) at the Fuel Pump Relay (FPR). Mine has only four.
It seems that the ignition switch provides the negative to the FPR in order to energize its coil.
Do you have the ignition wiring diagram, please?Get well soon,
Chris
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When the ignition key is on RUN position it provides juice to fuse 5, and also to terminal 15 at the FPR. At the same time the same black wire provides juice to many other circuits, like power windows, instrument panel, etc. In my case, when I turn the key on (RUN), the power windows, instrument panel, etc. all work. Therefore I do not believe the ignition switch is bad. But there is no juice to the FPR relay coil. That leads me to believe that terminal S (red/blue wire) at the other end of the FPR relay coil does not close the circuit, which is coming from the Motronic Engine Control Module, isn't it? The relay is good, I applied 12 volts to the coil and it is working, also the meter shows the other two terminals closing the circuit when the coil is activated. What do you think the problem is?

When the ignition key is on RUN position it provides juice to fuse 5, and also to terminal 15 at the FPR. At the same time the same black wire provides juice to many other circuits, like power windows, instrument panel, etc. In my case, when I turn the key on (RUN), the power windows, instrument panel, etc. all work. Therefore I do not believe the ignition switch is bad. But there is no juice to the FPR relay coil. That leads me to believe that terminal S (red/blue wire) at the other end of the FPR relay coil does not close the circuit, which is coming from the Motronic Engine Control Module, isn't it?

YES, but you do not need the ground at FP relay pin 16 to confirm the power to pin 19 is good. You need to confirm that to make sure there is no wire breakage.

The Motronic is either not getting power and ground or the Motronic is bad or there is a theft system issue. Use the diagram below to check the powers and grounds.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/Motronic.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The RED/BLU wire going from pin 16 into S and then to Motronic ECM does not exactly show the same color into the last diagram. There is a BLU/RED wire going to ECM pin 20. Is that the same wire as RED/BLU ?

Pin 65 is the red/blue wire from the Motronic to the FP relay.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One more question please before buying the service manual.
I found an used ECM with the exact AUDI part number as mine, 4Z7 907 551. Can I just swap it, or I have to re-program it?

Apparently there are not enough funds in your account. I tried to accept the phone call you requested and it was denied.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you know if another ECM would need to be programmed for my car, or just plug-and-play?

The repair guides state ECM replacement does require programming, though with an exact part number math used one I can not confirm programming is required.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Chris, I made a mistake and did not safe the diagrams sent by you. Now I wanted to double check something on a circuit and the link to your Dropbox is not accessible anymore. Could you please re-send.Thanks,
Chris

The links expired because the post was never rated. Once that is done respond and I can get them back active.