Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!

I filled up my Audi A6 4.2 liter yesterday and the guage

Customer Question

I filled up my Audi A6 4.2 liter yesterday and the guage reads empty. Is there a sensor that could stop my car from running even though I have gas?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well first I'm flying to the airport tomorrow morning and I don't want to break down. My fuel gage reads empty even though I just filled it up.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No I just want to make sure there is no sensor or something that could cause my car to think it's running out of ga
JA: OK! The Audi Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Audi Mechanic should be aware of about your Audi?
Customer: No but will you have an answer for me soon? Like I said I'm driving to the airport in the morning
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. If the gauge did not move that is a separate sensor than any that will cause running issues. As long as you know you filled up gas I would reset the trip meter. Usually you can safely get 300+ miles to the tank. So when you get back from your trip you can have the car checked out. The issue is most likely a bad fuel level sensor in the gas tank or the module that sends the signals. Hope this helps and eases your worries. Lou P. Let me know if you need anything else. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.

was my info helpful?